The DomiNations Project TD should be an experienced architect or lead engineer who is responsible for the software engineering efforts as well as outcomes of our accomplished DomiNations development team at Big Huge Games. You will be part of a highly skilled and innovative group that is responsible for creating world class mobile games and the technology behind them. As Project TD, you will oversee and take responsibility for all technical design, architecture, development and implementation related to the project, both client and server-side. We’re looking for candidates who combine strong architecture and programming skills, in-depth engineering experience and quality decision-making capabilities with a passion for games and the ability to work well with others. Your input, guidance and technical abilities will also contribute to the long-term development and direction of our studio.
You will be working closely with client, server and tool programmers, as well as other disciplines including Art, Design, Production, QA and Product. Your work will involve overseeing, architecting and implementing game technology and features in an efficient, robust and scalable manner, as well as bug fixing, profiling and optimizing code for our target platforms. We want engineers that live and breathe code yet can still operate and communicate effectively in a highly interactive environment.
● Oversee, architect and help develop high quality game features and foundation technology for mobile platforms, by gathering requirements, designing solutions, implementing robust code, testing and debugging.
● Work with production and development teams to understand business and system requirements and translate them into technical solutions; develop technical designs, engineering schedules and engine systems; troubleshoot issues.
● Design, implement and test new and enhanced features to optimize game functionality; assess existing game problems and recommend solutions; document and present solutions to business stakeholders.
● Lead and mentor other software engineers; code review peer’s and provide constructive feedback to ensure consistency and quality of code.
● Manage, monitor, prioritize and help resolve live service issues.
● Evaluate 3rd party technology and make decisions about developing in-house solutions vs utilizing 3rd party offerings.
● Create efficient, scalable, optimized code while working with 3rd party libraries and tools.
● Set project-wide engineering budgets for memory and performance within and across game and engine subsystems.
● Understand, conform and optimize for the memory, performance and budgetary limitations of target hardware and backend services.
● Lead project and group collaboration efforts and utilize engineering best practices, such as code reviews, automation, testing, etc.
● Work with all departments and publisher to ensure the best systems and tools to make our teams efficient and our games great.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
● 10+ years of software engineering experience.
● 3+ years of lead experience.
● Extensive game industry experience, shipped previous cross platform titles. Online game experience preferred.
● Ability to architect complex systems from scratch.
● Expert Source control system knowledge with Git.
● Expert level knowledge of C# and Java, strong C++ knowledge a plus.
● Excellent team and interpersonal skills a must.
● Experience with server configuration and management.
● Extensive experience in creating applications for the cloud (AWS, etc).
● Expertise working with the Agile/Scrum software development methodology.
● Strong background in large-scale system development, database design, and network programming.
● Experience in mentoring and leading other engineers.
● Expert Unity3D Engine expertise.
● Extensive Mobile development (iOS/Android).
● Deep knowledge of 2D games, especially mobile and free to play.
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent engineering track.
● Ability to quickly understand existing code and enhance/extend an existing architecture.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Excellent computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithms, and data structures.
● Expert level software engineering skills, including the ability to write maintainable and robust code.
● In-depth experience developing in and supporting all stages of the development lifecycle.
● A passion for hands-on game development with a focus on attention to detail.
Located in Baltimore, Maryland, the team at Big Huge Games is heir to a rich tradition of quality game development stretching back more than two decades.
Our goals are simple: make great games, have a great place to come to work every day, and live up to the motto “you gotta have fun to make fun.” Potential applicants should check out DomiNations on iOS or Android.